[Coco] FPGA 63x09

Rick Taylor coder32768 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 01:18:54 EDT 2009

What could be done with a beagle board? I think it has a FPGA on board, but
I may be mistaken. It has some chip for DSP at least, I believe..
Either way if a beagle board is feasible, they are pretty cheap and all
inclusive.

http://beagleboard.org/

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM, <jdaggett at gate.net> wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2009 at 12:05, Stephen Adolph wrote:
>
> > Great to hear there are others thinking similarly.
> >
> > I too prefer writing VHDL as RTL...I can only think of it in terms of
> > creating gates that do specific things, and controlling them directly
> > rather than through implication.
> >
> > In order to make sense we would want a component that costs 30$ or
> > less I would think - are there any non-volitile FPGA (with no external
> > config flash) that are in this range, wiht enough LUTs?  I would think
> > we would not need a lot of LUTs to do an 8 bit CPU..
> >
> > Steve
> >
> John Kent's CPU09 compiles into a:
>
> XC2S300E using 2666 LUTs out of 6144.
> XC3S200AN using 2744 LUTs out of 3584.
> XC3S500E using 3710 LUTs out of 9312.
>
> The XC3S500E =4QFP208 and XCF04 combined are right at $31.
>
> Digilent Inc makes a development board, Nexsys2, with the XC3S500E
> with 16Megabit Celluar RAM and 16Megabit flash, configuration flash, 8 bit
> color VGA, USB2.0, PS2 portand RS232 all for $129. Add $40 for the
> XC3S1200E option.
>
> My opinion this is the best bargain for any Coco development work.
> Designing our own board and manufacture would be as costly if not more.
> The major drawback is that most of the high density FPGAs are BGA parts
> and that requires 6 or 8 layer PCBs. These don't come cheap. Look for
> price of PCB in the $100 to $150 range. Using a QFP we can drop to 2 or 4
> layers and a third of the cost.
>
> just my thoughts
> james

All of this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted -
not so coldly charted; it's really just a question of your honesty.

- Neil Peart, Rush, _The Spirit of Radio_