[Coco] FPGA 63x09

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Mar 27 11:58:49 EDT 2009

Alan

Most FPGAs are SRAM based configuration. That is when you remove
power the part has to be reconfigured into the form you want. All
development boards have some means of storing the configuration data in
a flash device. Most are serial flash. Configuration takes but a few hundred
milliseconds at most.

Xilinx and Actel have FPGAs that have the configuration flash integrated
into the FPGA so that an external device is not needed.

You can change designs as often as you wish. That is the beauty of the
FPGA over ASIC. Though ASICs have their own advantages.

These are my reccomendations only.

For anything Coco related or for Coco3 enhancemnt I would recommend
that the development board have 8 bit color VGA port and 6 bit as a
minimum. external peripherals like RS232/USB/PS2/Netowrking are extras
but are not manditory. A minimum system would be at least 500K gate
equivalent FPGA. At least 1 Megavyte of RAM. Either SRAM or SDRAM is
okay. Flash storage device is also a must. It can be parallel or SPI serial.

james