[Coco] DW3 descriptor info question

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Thu Mar 26 20:41:49 EDT 2009

Tim,

The NitrOS-9 format command computes the total number of sectors for a
device as follows:

	(C*H*(S-1))+T0S

Where C=Cylinders, H=Heads, S=Sectors, T0S=Sectors in Track 0

The format command in toolshed uses options -t for tracks (cylinders)
and -st for sectors/track.  -ds and -ss set up 2 heads and 1 head,
respectively.  There is no option for track 0 sector size, since this
is a physical requirement and not a logical one.

Alternatively you can use the -l option to specify the number of
logical sectors and forego the use of the above options; this option
automatically computes optimal values for C/H/S based on the number of
logical sectors requested.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre