[Coco] Rainbow archives in DjVu

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Thu Mar 26 13:26:55 EDT 2009

N8WQ wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
> I've been following this thread with interest. I didn't even know about
> the DJVU format. Are you doing all of your grunt work with scripts in Linux?

[snip]

Yeah, it's all Linux.
I'm using:

	bash (duh)
	the DjVuLibre tools (c44, cjb2, djvm, djview)
	the XPDF tools (pdfimages, pdftoppm)
	The GIMP with GIMP-Python (handling CMYK files in batch mode)
	netpbm (the GIMP can't save a real 1-bit pbm, so I need pgmtopbm)

I think that's all.

I used to use netpbm a lot more, and GNU gs to convert JPEG files to a series
of CMYK gray maps. The process certainly used a lot less memory that way, but
the GIMP has better filters so I pulled the trigger on that...even though I
despise Python. Hey, at least it isn't Scheme. :)

If anyone wants the scripts, I can post them (combined, they all add up to
about 15K) or email them directly for those who want to experiment.

Note: I have not hooked OCRopus up to the conversion system yet, but I expect
to in the relatively near future. This will add full-text search and selection
to the files, but will make them a bit bigger. I must admit that it seems a
little weird that the text will be a significant portion of the size of the
files, but I estimate that text may make the files as much as 5-10% larger.