[Coco] hardware question - coco3 RAM subsystem

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu Mar 26 13:20:51 EDT 2009

Hey Steve,

Sounds like an interesting project, and I know of at least one other
person on this list who has successfully demuxed the DRAM address bus
and used srams to upgrade a CoCo3

The CoCo does not address the memory in any way other than a standard
RAS/CAS cycle.

The CPLD is probably serious overkill for what you need to do. A couple
of LS latches would do the trick for less than a buck.

All you really need to do is use a couple of latches to grab the row and
column addresses and turn them back into a linear address you can feed
into an array of SRAMS.

When you say 2MB I assume you mean 2 megabit meaning they're probably
256k x 8 in size? I think that would work out well as you need to make a
16 bit wide array to most easily feed the GIME.

If all you want is to upgrade a CoCo3 to 512k and you think your time is
worth more than 40 bucks, go here

http://www.cloud9tech.com/

and click on the hardware tab for the upgrade board. I've bought
probably 4 of them and they work great.