[Coco] Mouse

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 26 10:34:57 EDT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Rogelio Perea wrote:
>> No amount of internal rewiring will allow a serial mouse to be used with a
>> CoCo....[snip]
>>
>> Diecom produced The Rat graphics design package and along with it an
>> adapter box to allow it to use a serial mouse - I don't have any more
>> details than that, never used it - maybe someone else has some insight on
>> that mouse adapter.
>
>Actually, FWIW, I think the Diecom adapter was for an Amiga-compatible
>mouse rather than a serial mouse.  I believe an Amiga mouse sends the
>quadrature optical encoder signals straight to the computer instead of
>having an on-board controller watch the encoders and send packets of
>serial data.

This, Joel, is a correct description of the amiga mouse, and the reason it
needed all 9 wires in its fairly heavy cable.  That mouse set the standards
against which ALL other mice were judged in its day.  It was both dead
accurate, and as real time at any movement speed as you could get.  The lag in
a serial mouse with its 2400 baud update speed can and will eat your lunch at
times as your hand will move it correctly, but you must wait to see the
pointer itself stop where you wanted it, and then push the button(s).  This
made a LightWave application about 1/3rd as fast to do something on the much
faster pc's of the day as it was on an 68040 equipt amiga.

>JCE
>
>> -=[ Rogelio ]=-
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Bill <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone used a PC serial mouse and rewired it to work on the Coco? I
>>> have
>>> 2 original Coco joysticks that are too damaged to work, but the plug and