[Coco] NOS-9 and the wireless RS-232 pak

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 26 10:27:02 EDT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009, James Hrubik wrote:
>One of the logistical problems with the CoCo and remote sensing has
>always been the need to run cables.  In looking at Roger's wireless
>232 pak on coco3.com, I got to wondering :
>
>(1) Are drivers available to run the wireless pak under Nitros-9?
>
>(2) What is the range of the wireless pak?  Can this device be
>utilized in remote sensing, or environmental controls, at distances
>of, say, 100 metres?  If a battery pack had to be built to allow a
>remote CoCo to send/receive in a sensing or control position, what
>sort of power requirements might be needed to successfully use the
>wireless pak?
>
>Just curious <G>.  There are always projects involving weather
>stations, monitoring of greenhouses, etc. to dream up.

I suppose it would be possible, but as bluetooth is setup, it can onlyt 'pair
with' or connect, to one other bluetooth device at a time.  I assume that with
suitable scripting, the pairing could be dynamically switched around to
monitor the various bt equipt devices hooked up here and there.

But I have not yet managed to make mine work yet as its sitting on top of my
existing rs-232 packs access address, and I need to move it down to $FF64 to
use it I believe.  Also, the dongles I bought, would appear to be partially
blacklisted by linux because they have a broken CSCO (or some similar acronym)
problem.  I think it can be worked around, but I've not found the howto on
that yet.