[Coco] Coco to "plain old monitor"

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Mar 24 10:32:01 EDT 2009

No, I don't think the AOC monitor will work.  The referenced
documentation says that it requires a horizontal sync rate of 30KHz.
The CoCo 3's HSync rate is ~ 15KHz, the same as old-fashioned NTSC
video.  As Mike Pepe pointed out, the vast majority of (S)VGA monitors
do not sync below 30KHz and therefore won't work with a CoCo3, or an
MM/1, or a Commodore Amiga, et cetera.  There were a few monitors that
were produced, probably between the late '80s and the mid '90s, that
could be used as NTSC-sync-rate RGB monitors, and could also be used
with the SVGA cards of the day.

These are getting rather old and hard to find.  In all the hundreds of
PC VGA-type monitors I've come across, I've found exactly two.  One was
a Sony CPD-1302, which I bought used a dozen years ago, with the
intention to use it on my MM/1.  It actually had a switch so it could be
used as a CGA monitor, an EGA monitor, or a VGA monitor up to 1024x768i
(I think).  I used it as a VGA monitor at 800x600 for a number of years
until the picture began to get bad.  Maybe I'll try to fix it some day.
The other is an NEC Multisync 3D, like Mike likes.  I got it from a
friend recently.  It had a touch-screen thing stuck on the front, which
I removed.  One of these days I'll make a cable to hook it up to the MM/1.

There are adapters you can buy that will allow you to hook an SVGA
monitor up to an older system that puts out 15KHz HSync.  They have been
discussed on this list before, but I don't remember any names.  Since
the Commodore Amiga was a very popular computer that used RGB monitors
at NTSC sync rates, a web search along the lines of ' adapter amiga svga
monitor ' might yield useful results.

JCE