[Coco] Rainbow archives in DjVu

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Mar 18 17:30:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:41:38PM -0400, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:46:44AM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I'm accustomed to PDF, but if DjVu readers are available under the GPL,
> >> have been ported to most popular operating systems, and if the DjVu
> >> format is being used by Google and Archive.org, why shouldn't we make
> >> use of it?
> >>
> >> That's my perspective on it.
> >
> > I'm sure DjVu is a wonderful format.  However, given the fact that
> > I've only ever seen it discussed or used in this mailing list I think
> > claims of it's immense popularity are suspect.  YMMV...
>
> It's only "immensely popular" in the relatively narrow field of digital
> document preservation.

OK

<snip>

> Here's a technical overview of how (and why) it actually works as well as it does:

Wow...thanks? :-)  Seriously, it was a nice write-up.

Please don't misunderstand -- I pride myself on trying not to
discourage anyone from doing a coco-related project.  If this excites
you (or anyone else), then please do it!  Anything that results in
more/better archival of useful documents from the CoCo's past is a
big plus as far as I'm concerned.  You could archive everything in
TIFF format for all I care, so long as we have usable records... :-)

John