[Coco] off topic - to electronics guys

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Mar 16 23:10:14 EDT 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009, Bob Devries wrote:
>If the number on the cap is 223, then AFAIK, the value should be 0.022uF.
>Not sure just how big such a cap would be. Is the identification a definite?

I don't believe a .022 uf, 3kv cap could ever be that small, not unless they
have found a new, much higher dielectric constant, and higher breakdown
voltage per mill of thickness dielectric material.

Really folks, you can buy a digital multimeter for less than a $100 bill (mine
says its an Extech, measures the usual AC-DC true RMS volts, ohms, diodes,
capacitors, low frequency counter, temps in F & C, and all the currents in AC
& DC) at the shack that can measure the survivor on the other side and verify
it.  Unsolder one end of it first of course.  That would settle the argument
once and finally.  Or unsolder both ends and take it to the shack & ask for a
demo, measure that cap & then mutter something about the accuracy tolerance &
hand it back to them. :)