[Coco] HDB-DOS-Drivewire 3

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Fri Mar 13 08:46:12 EDT 2009

I just ran a megaread on under NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2 running DriveWire
3 to an eMac G4 1.42GHz server, and here's what I got:

228 seconds

A more recent system could probably do better, but not by a large
margin.  Even if you were to cut this in half (114 seconds, which is a
stretch to think that it could be cut in half) it is still an order of
magnitude slower than SCSI and way slower than IDE.  A more comparable
test would be against a floppy system, though current floppies don't
hold a megabyte.

I'm not sure how much slower or faster DriveWire 3 is than a floppy at
raw reads/writes but there is something to be said for NitrOS-9
booting faster from DriveWire 3 than from a floppy disk, and this has
a lot to do fact that DriveWire 3 is not encumbered by the time
consuming head movement and track seeks of a floppy disk drive.

If someone has the time (hint hint!), they could modify megaread.asm
in the NitrOS-9 Project to take an optional parameter: the number of
1K blocks to read (currently 1,024).  This would allow megaread to
work with smaller sized devices and results could be extrapolated from
that.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
--