[Coco] Run program by typing DOS

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:35:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Darren A wrote:

>> Is there a tool I can use to turn them into proper DSK images?  Also, it
>> would seem that they should not be using an extension of 'DSK' if that'
>> not what they are.
>>

> Another method I have used to convert between formats is to download
> the software utilities for the SVD (semi virtual disk) from this site:
>
> <http://www.thesvd.com/SVD/pcsoftware.php>
>
> You can use this utility to open a DMK format disk image and then save
> it back out in JVC format (and vise-versa).  You don't need to have
> the SVD device to use this feature of the software.

Actually, this function is provided by a standalone binary called 'tosvd'.
You can run it on the command line or in a shell script.  Neat!  Thanks
for the tip.  I own an SVD, btw.  Cool gadget.

> You should be aware that the main purpose of the DMK format is to
> allow copy-protected disks to be used in an emulator.  Converting to
> the JVC format will discard the data that encodes the copy-protection
> details.  If the program(s) in the DSK file utilize copy protection,
> they probably won't work when used from a JVC format file.

I still feel that the file extensions should be '.DMK' instead of '.DSK',
but maybe I'm just out-of-step here...

Steve