[Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Mar 11 00:47:28 EDT 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:11:38 -0400
> From: "RJLCyberPunk" <cyberpunk at prtc.net>
> Subject: [Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?
> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> OK now that they have a wireless blue tooh "RS232" pak for the CoCo that
> would and should allow it to use the PC it links too as a server to connect
> to the internet wouldn't the next logical step be to develop a CoCo web
> browser?
>
> One that is at least text based with limited graphics capability like this
> one developed for the Apple II here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzgp7xTp1k&fmt=18

I think a minimal graphical web browser (ala WAP) is possible, maybe
written in C under OS-9 (or pure assembler, or maybe a mix of assembler
and CBASIC-3), provided that a major part of the system is a "host
server" program that translates the WAP-like requests into standard
browser requests, translating the returned data into "WAP" format (or
downloading the "WAP" format directly if the page is referenced as such)
and delivering it back to the custom browser running on the CoCo.

Graphics could thus be made faster by translating/scaling the
information on the host server into something fast for the CoCo. It
wouldn't look anywhere near as good as the original, of course, given
the graphic limits of the CoCo - but it should be somewhat
recognizeable. It might even be possible to use "tricks" (ala Sockmaster
and others) to allow for higher-color special displays, ie: "click here
to see the hires version" links or buttons.

The translator software would probably be best written using Python,
Perl or even possibly PHP (or a combo of the three), running under *nix
(Windows users could run it under Cygwin). I don't think C would be
necessary, as most of the conversions of graphics and other things could
be handled by libraries already written (usually using C) for such
tasks. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't already an HTML 4.0 to WAP
converter library available; the graphics could be handled by any number
of libraries, such as ImageMagic. Speed wouldn't be an issue for such a
server process written in higher level languages because the grunt work
(needing such speed) could be handled by existing libraries available as
native compiled code.

Heck - I wish I had the time, it sounds like it would be a fun project
(I have all the tools and enough skill, just no time, unfortunately - I
am in the middle of a long-term robotics project).

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona