[Coco] Underscore in Filename in DECB

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 9 11:15:33 EDT 2009

mike delyea wrote:
> Also, isn't it possible that the filename could have been produced by
> a string of ASCII characters?  Something like
> NA$=CHR$(BLAH)+CHR$(BLAH)+CHR$(LEFT ARROW)+CHR$(BLAH), then OPENed for
> output.
>
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Robert Gault
> <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> CoCo Mongrel wrote:
>>> OK doggonnit,
>>>
>>> I've got some files in DECB that have what I think are stand-ins for the
>>> underscore character.  They appear as a right-pointing arrow [ <- (but a
>>> single character)].  I can't remember how to produce this character on the
>>> CoCo 3 keyboard in DECB.  You can get it with <alt><-> in TW128.  But I
>>> want
>>> to type this at the DECB command prompt.  A <shift><[down-arrow]> produces
>>> the character on the screen, but also apparently a carriage return.  And
>>> though it appears the same on the screen, I'm not sure it's the same
>>> character...
>>>
>>> cocomongrel
>>>
>> There is no right pointing arrow produced by the ROMs. There is a left
>> pointing arrow <- which is what you drew in your question.
>> SHIFT up-arrow will produce  <-  on the screen from Basic.
>> The only other arrow is the up-arrow produced by the up-arrow key.

A string like that can only produce characters stored in the Coco ROM or
video chip. It would be different if you were running a graphics program
that displayed characters internal to the program. Then you could
display almost anything.

If you can find some CHR$ string that prints -> as a single character
instead of a minus sign - and then the > sign, please post it. That was
the request of the OP.