[Coco] Amusing set of error messages (can you see whats wrong?)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 8 21:09:53 EDT 2009

On Sunday 08 March 2009, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:06:13AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 08 March 2009, Willard Goosey wrote:
>> >skywarp:~$ mount /home/goosey/brawl
>> >Password:
>> >smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (501,501)
>>
>> Who is 501?
>
>Me. :-)

Not in the passwd file you aren't, or it would have identified you.  That is
what prompted me to ask.  Once you have gained root access, I would change the
ownership to you as a user.

>> >smbmnt failed: 1
>> >skywarp:~$ which smbmount
>> >/usr/bin/smbmount
>> >skywarp:~$ su
>> >Password:
>> >skywarp:/home/goosey# cd /usr/bin
>> >skywarp:/usr/bin# chmod +s smbmount
>> >skywarp:/usr/bin# ll smbmount
>> > 484 -rwsr-sr-x    1 root     bin        489492 Apr  7  2003 smbmount
>> >skywarp:/usr/bin# exit
>> >skywarp:~$ mount /home/goosey/brawl
>> >libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.
>> >5817: Connection to brawl failed
>> >SMB connection failed
>>
>> This disk is on a different machine where you _were_ user 501?
>
>Sorry, you missed the same thing I missed the first time I went
>through this.  It was definetely bedtime. :-)  Look again.  What did I
>do wrong?

The only thing I'm seeing other than you didn't do an 'su -', is that that
copy of smbmount is struggling around on crutches and about to expire from old
age.  Don't you ever update that linux box?

For starters, smbmount has been deprecated for quite a while, mount having
gained the ability to detect and mount a modern cifs file system completely
automatically.

Quite a few security holes have been plugged with the newer samba installs, so
since that copy is 6 years old, please upgrade if for no other reason than to
bring it truly into compliance with the M$ cifs file system.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Q:  What is your name?