[Coco] FD-50X Drive manuals

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Sat Mar 7 22:41:11 EST 2009

  Bill wrote:
> I have 3 separate drives (a FD-500 and (2) FD-502s).
>
> I have 2 controllers (a FD-500 and a FD-502)
>
> I have 2 cables (a flat ribbon cable and a rolled shielded cable)
>
> I only have 1 computer (a 26-3127 Coco2).
>
> Regardless which controller I use, or which cable I use, the result is the
> same.
>
> Two of the three are FD-502. Between them, there is (1) FD-502 controller,
> one flat ribbon cable, and a round shielded cable. The drives act like this
> (regardless of which controller is used, 500 or 502, or which cable is
> used): When the DSKINI0 command is given, the drives "click" through each of
> the 35 tracks slowly, but instead of returning to the beginning and doing it
> again quickly to verify, they just spin a few seconds and display an ?IO
> ERROR

Did you try more than one floppy disk?  this could be the floppy.  Could
also be the sticky head rails problem.

> The third is a FD-500 w/controller, but no cable. I've been using the cable
> from the first 502 (a ribbon cable). The drive acts like this (again,
> regardless of which controller is used, 500 or 502): When the DSKINI0
> command is given, the drive "clicks" through 18 of the 35 tracks slowly, but
> then it stays in the same place for 4 more "clicks", and displays an ?IO
> ERROR.

This looks more like sticky head rails.

Just for general  purposes, on all of the card edge connectors, dirves
and controllers. Us a pencil erasor on the contacts and buff them up
pretty!
Then do the clean/lube proceedure on the drives.  I be you will get them
working.

The round cable is most likely the stock tandy cable.  The flat ribbon
cable is most likely home made.  If you only have 1 drive on the system
It should make no difference which cable you use as long as you put the
drive on the end of the cable.  Tandy drives all come set as drive 1.
The fiddle with the cable to make the drive select different.