[Coco] FD-50X Drive manuals

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Sat Mar 7 22:30:54 EST 2009

Another thought.

The card edge connector on the drives, and the controller will have a
slot towards one side of the connector.  Also one side of the cable will
have a colored band.  Make sure the colored band has the same
orientation on all of the connections.  IE: colord band signifies pin 1,
slot on card edge designates side of connector where pin 1 is located.
Make sure all the 1's are together !.

Another common problem on old drives is that the carriage that holds the
heads, gets gummed up, and prevents the heads from moving in and out
freely.
This can be seen by watching the head as a dskini is performed.  listen
to the clicks. the head should increment each time you hear a click. If
not, its gummed up. If so, turn of the power from the drive, remove the
floppy disk. spray some WD40 on a q-tip or some such, and wipe down the
rail the head moves on and then physically slide the head back and forth
a few times. DONT spray directly on the drive! You don't want it going
all over the place, this is not good.

Tim