[Coco] DriveWire

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 7 14:25:22 EST 2009

Frank Pittel wrote:

> I'm the one that posted the wish list and it included being able to access
> different types of devices under hdb-dos at once. Most of this comes from
> my increased use of drivewire. As you know I also have the superide adaptor
> and it always frustrates me to know that I can't use it when using drivewire.
>
> As you know I'm trying to get away from using floppies and I hate having to use
> them to copy data from a drivewire image to the cf card on the ide interface.
> You mention eprom space but there are four virtual eproms on the superide and
> more on the superboard (when that's available). I would happily give them up
> to accomodate some type of paging to allow access to drivewire and the cf in
> my superide at the same time. That would of course limit it's use to those of
> us that have the superide though.
>
> That's my fantasy but it's your product and the decision is yours.
>
> Frank

That could be done as I've done that with a custom DOS of my own and
ADOS3 does that. The idea is to bury code in the ROM at $E000-$FDFF.
When that code needs to be used, you switch from RAM to ROM, use the
code, and switch back to RAM.
It takes very careful coding not to self-destruct and it requires a 16K
EPROM.