[Coco] DriveWire 3

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Mar 7 13:10:14 EST 2009

Boisy,

First of all, thank you for this generous gift to the CoCo community.
May it drive the sale of many cables and ROM cartridges.  In any case,
it should help many existing users to stay in the CoCo game, and aid
potential new and returning CoCo users in getting started, which can't
be anything but good for all CoCo users and vendors.  We all benefit
when more people use the CoCo.

Last night I made up a cable, burned DW3 into a 2764, and popped it into
an old Disto Super Controller.  Works like a champ.  I'm using the
Windows server for now, but will try out the Linux server and probably
also the MacOS one eventually.

A couple questions:

1.  It appears to me that the only way to transfer files between server
disk images in HDB-DOS is through real floppy disks on the CoCo.  E.g.
I want to make a disk image for games and one for image files, etc.  I
have individual disk image files on the server.  I can select said files
with "drive#[0-3]".  I can automagically expand these disk image files
by writing to a virtual drive number >0.  But once I've issued the
"drive#" command, the virtual disks in the other image files on the
server are inaccessible.  I could do a "drive#0", then "drive off 1" and
copy data to a real floppy disk, assuming I have a floppy drive hooked
up as drive 1.   Then I could do a "drive#1" command and "drive off 1"
again, and then copy the data from the real floppy to a virtual disk on
a different image file on the server.

Am I right in thinking that's the only way to do what I'm trying to do
in HDB-DOS, or am I missing something?  It would be really cool to be
able to do something like:  "backup 254#0 to 5#3" or "copy
"hicolor.bin:254#0" to 5#3".

Just for fun I tried loading a ramdisk program that installed itself as
drives 2 and 3.  I wanted to try using that as an intermediate location
for moving files between disk images.  As I expected it stomped on
DriveWire.  I haven't tried all of the ramdisk programs I have, but I
suspect the result will be the same.

2.  Some concern has been expressed that since the CoCo 3 version of DW3
runs the CoCo in high-speed mode, some auto-running games might be
unplayably fast.  Would a potential solution to this simply be to use
the CoCo 2 version and set the server accordingly?  (With the obvious
caveat that it would only run at 56k...)

Thanks again for making this available.

JCE