[Coco] Technical question

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Mar 6 14:43:22 EST 2009

Quite likely, both problems are due to their respective cables, the
cassette cable in the MOTORON/OFF case
and the notoriously bad RF cable for connecting to the TV,
which is poorly shielded.  You might try switching the output from
Channel 3 to Channel 4 to see if that helps any, though I doubt that
would make much difference.  Another thing to try with the CoCo turned
on and outputting to the TV is changing the TV channel to and from the
CoCo's output channel, to let the TV's automatic tuning
adjust to the CoCo's signal.  Plugging the TV and the CoCo into
different electrical outlets might also reduce the interference.

Most CoCo users use a monitor of some sort rather than a TV, which
generally gives a far better picture, especially if it is an RGB one.
You might check if your TV has video and audio RCA-type inputs, and
connect them to the composite output and audio output jacks of the
CoCo instead of using the RF output.  That should help a great deal.

Most CoCo users also use disk systems rather than cassette, so
MOTORON/OFF wouldn't be needed.  The cassette can be started and
stopped manually in any case.
(The cassette's PLAY button must be down for MOTORON and MOTOROFF to
have any effect, by the way.)

Art