[Coco] 16550 wasRe: RS232 paks

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Mar 5 20:36:16 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 01:03:01AM +0000, Mark Marlette wrote:
> Willard,
>
> Exactly my point. Zmodem by nature will re-xmit the loss but you can
> see that your effective baud rate goes in the tank.

Yep.  I used to have 10-12 computers wired together with a web of
rs232 cables.  I'm quite familiar with the issues.

Fortunately, I finally got the vaguely-modern machines on ethernet,
and the remaining serial lines are much saner now.

> Was this Zmodem xfer saved to a hard disk or floppy?

It was many many moons ago, but I'm pretty sure it was to a hard disk.
If not, it was to a RAM disk.  It was almost certainly over a direct
(null-modem) link to a linux box, rather than a modem.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard