[Coco] 16550 wasRe: RS232 paks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 22:41:31 EST 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 06:13 PM 3/4/2009, you wrote:
>>George,
>>
>>Google a bit and you will see, it is a wonderful tool.
>>
>>Maybe you will believe our own SockMaster on the subject.......
>>
>>http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/cocofile/rs232mod.txt
>>
>>This is an extraction from his article from :
>>
>>    Now for what IS in the diagram:  The other problem with putting
>> a high-speed
>>modem on my BBS is a little less important,  but fixing it makes everything
>
>While Sock is an amazing think tank, I like to think that I am, too.  :)
>Btw, his hack article deals with 6551 connections to a certain flavor of
> modem.

The point is that it makes the modem do the work, if it cannot, then it is as
broken as the 6551.  And back then, new modems were only as far away as wally
world.  New, properly configured rs-232 backs weren't available at any price
unless you yourself did the fixes that folks like Sock figured out.

As for brains, I think at this point your bona-fides in that dept are well
established. 20 years ago I could have gotten into some pretty good
discusssions with you, but 20 years ago I was also only 54.  Now I have to
admit I bow to the ones with the giddy-yup to git-r-done.  My giddy-up often
gets up ahead of me, or sleeps in, I haven't figured out which but he is
certainly not on the same page as I.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)