[Coco] 16550 wasRe: RS232 paks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 19:04:30 EST 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009, Mark McDougall wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Since the 16550 needs a 16 wide group of register addresses, which would
>> displace 4 regular packs from the coco's address space, I wonder how that
>> was handled?
>
>The 16550 only needs 8 bytes of addressing...

Hmm, I was in this case parroting what some else said, probably a decade back.

And while that is good news, it still needs more space that a 6551.  OTOH,
does not this 8 bytes more or less give us a dual serial port?  Most such
chips as used in the pc's back then are duals at heart.  If so, that would
equal out rather nicely.  Now days, the common Superio chipset has duals in it
even if not bonded out.  Here, I can find a ttyS1, but I believe the only
hardware actually installed is ttyS0, and it is called an 8250 by linux.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)