[Coco] HD power supply

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 17:05:28 EST 2009

That was my worry when I added the 2nd drive to my FD-502 setup, the user
manual had the procedure to upgrade and the cooling fan was noted as
essential for the upgrade to work.

My upgrade was not the Tandy product but a spare I had from a Intel machine
- a generic HH drive.

I installed the drive with no fan and decided to try it out for a while,
this was back in 1989 and to this date the lack of the fan has not been an
issue, not even under heavy floppy drive usage (OS9 L2 on my CoCo 3).

Could be that the power requirements from both drives are just a tad below
the power supply capabilities, maybe a bit more and the thing just wouldn't
work.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-