[Coco] ATX PSUs

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Mar 19 21:18:12 EDT 2009

Well, you could do both! If the PC with DriveWire3 will be real close to the CoCo you could easily install a second HD in the PC case and run a cable to the CoCo IDE board. The PC would have to be powered up to use the CoCo HD though. If you use DriveWire3 or CoCoNet with a PC as a server, there's little need to use a "real" HD on the CoCo though. If I were doing anything I'd get one of the Cloud-9 HD controllers with the card slot, then not use a hard drive at all, just a big card.

Now if Cloud-9 (or someone) would just make a FLOPPY controller with a card slot that acted like a hard drive we'd REALLY be "on cloud nine"!! Throw in a real RS-232 port while I'm dreaming! Something like the Disto SC-II with multi-I/O board but a IDE controller instead of SCSI. Oh, one more improvement -- needs to be no-halt!

--------
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:39:05 -0500
From: "Bill" <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com>

It sounds basically like (if I understand correctly) the simplest thing to
do is stay with DriveWire 3, use a small PC with Win 98 on it, and proceed
like I knew what I was doing. Correct? If a CocoIDE will not perform
correctly in a PC case, than I should stay away from it.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"