[Coco] ATX PSUs (was: OSTerm)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Mar 19 11:17:50 EDT 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:07:33 -0600
> From: Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] OSTerm
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:50:21PM -0500, Bill wrote:
>> Does anyone have a good copy of OSTerm? I downloaded one, but when I copied
>> it to a Coco disk and tried to run it, all I got was OK.
>
> Unless there's multiple programs called OSTerm, it's an OS-9
> program...
>
> BTW on my CoCo, all the disk drives are in an old PC case.  Works
> fine.  You may need to leave the PC motherboard in the box and
> connected to power just to draw a minimum load on the power supply.
>
> Willard

Willard,

This is kinda OT for this list - but your statement "You may need to
leave the PC motherboard in the box and connected to power just to draw
a minimum load on the power supply." - isn't correct. The PSU needs to
see a load, yes, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) be a PC motherboard,
unless you have built a "dual machine" box, I suppose. For ATX PSUs, you
just need to hook up the sense lines properly, and hook a small load up
to the voltage lines. There are several articles on the internet about
how to do this (useful if you want to test an ATX PSU without hooking it
up to a good mobo and potentially frying it if the PSU is really wonky).

Just thought I would pass this info along...

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona