[Coco] now I remember...

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Mar 8 03:27:15 EDT 2009

Why I never program in Pascal any more....

Since the OS-9 Pascal compiler doesn't have a RND() in its standard
functions, last summer I tracked down one in Pascal.  I got it typed
in, but then I was out of town, and away from my CoCo3, for 7 months.

So yesterday, I finally got around to hacking on the code to turn it
into a standalone Pascal subroutine module.

And now it's done, and I remember why I don't use Pascal any more. :-(

Actually, though, I had more problems with the simple fact that OS-9
subroutine modules can't (easily) have any static data space.  And an
RND generator (Knuth's Random3, if you're interested) needs a fair bit
of static space.

Once I get the bad taste out of my mouth, I want to convert the RND
code over to DEFT Pascal, since it also lacks an RND function.

And I can't write a game without random numbers. ;-)  I don't know if
I'll ever write another game in Pascal, but I do want to port my old,
bad Turbo Pascal games over.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA