[Coco] coco3.com

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jun 29 21:02:50 EDT 2009

At 03:13 PM 6/29/2009, you wrote:
>I know this. However, it's being very selective since I have been
>unable to log ing from home or work since Saturday... It simply does
>not know who I am...

Notice to all coco3.com users:

I don't know who it is, how they do it, or why they do it, but in the
past there have been a handful of attacks aimed mainly at repeat and
heavy users.  With the removal of Briza's account AND the removal of
my moderator status in all forums (I can't recall if I even needed
that option as an admin), someone has either injected some MySQL hack
code somehow to do this job or they manually broke in and did it.

I realize that most forums are under attack daily by whoever does
this crap but when a specific VIP user and the admin himself are the
only two apparent targets, this screams of an inside job.

The cute part about this is that it's happened before, in various
fashions, and the site is not going away.  Hack, break, inject, poke,
prod, attack, curse, swear, or whatever seems fit at the time of
madness, but it goes down in history as yet again nothing but wasted
time and efforts from the attacker.  It's a day, a week, a month,
you'll never get back.

I do have backups and also monitor logs, so when I get the time I'll
do what was done a year or two ago and spend 3 days straight studying
the logs until I find the Internet Service Provider and User of the
culprit.  If this turns up nothing then I'll assume the typical
attack but then they sure are one lucky jerk to hit my account and
Briza's.  Wow.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com