[Coco] What do you make of this non-approved HSCREEN mode?

Sun Jun 14 19:20:17 EDT 2009

On Jun 14, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Torsten Dittel wrote:
> Thanks. Meanwhile I had a look at Sock's page (http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/gime.html
> ) and found that one:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sock has already done a lot of the work
testing the GIME and finding undocumented modes, etc.  Here's an
interview Nick conducted about a decade ago:

http://www.nickm.launch.net.au/ProjectArchive/kowalski.html

Of particular interest is this paragraph:

Most of my experiments were deliberate. I had an idea that something
should be possible and I tried it. There was some random hunting for
effects - keep poking all sorts of numbers into all sorts of registers
(especially video registers) in all sorts of 'times' and see if
anything neat happened. By times, I mean things like during the
horizontal or vertical video border, or at the end of a scan line or
the last line of the screen, etc. A few neat but fairly useless
discoveries were that the 1987 GIME could be tricked into displaying
overscan graphics (graphics WITHIN the border) and that the 1986 GIME
could be tricked into displaying interlaced video (640x450). I also
found out that the interrupt timing between both versions of the GIME
is very different, and that's a regular annoyance that interferes with
special effects. Luckily, I also found out how to detect which GIME
your CoCo has so I could make it so that a program works on both of
them.

-- JP