[Coco] Crunch?

Thu Jun 4 16:54:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

The disk creation utility (or emulator) would have to put the header on that
is marked one or the other, never both.

The decision must not be the programs but set by the user, command line
parameter or user response to an on screen question.

For a "far and few between disk", it would need to be retrieved twice, once
for a DECB version and once for a OS-9 version.

That's just some of the costs to build a foolproof system.

The biggest cost is the time machine.

It clearly would be possible to chain together several conditions that has a
better chance to be right most of the time.

As more conditions are added more computing has to be done and soon will
have a failure rate that is smaller and smaller but will take longer and
longer.

The changes to VCC, at this point in the Coco's life, perhaps need only to
be as good as the other emulators.

There still will be the old versions of VCC out there, even if the VCC's
author improves it.

The VCC author needs to be encouraged to join this thread.

That's the only way the real scope of this problem can be understood and the
correct steps discovered. I no longer have any trust in suggested ways to
remedy this problem including my own.

SHF