[Coco] Emulator Disk sizes - was Crunch? Urbane

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 1 20:56:56 EDT 2009

Paul Fitch wrote:
> I've tried other emulators and I like VCC the best.  That does not mean that
> I consider it to be "finished".  I will say that I've been a bit of a file
> hound in the last 18 months or so, and this is the FIRST disk I've ever
> tried to use that was rejected.  I noticed right away that it was smaller
> than the hundreds of other .DSK and .OS9 disk images I have in my
> possession.

The problem is not unique to VCC, although this particular aspect is.
Even with disks of the full 35 track size, VCC will look at LSN0 and
frequently fail if that sector has data.

There was/is a problem with the way NitrOS-9 disks are distributed. All
these disks are labeled .dsk but don't completely adhere to the JVC
format. They frequently were shorter than they should be and never had
the extra optional header that indicates the number of sides and size.
As a result, they only work with MESS when the extension is changed from
.dsk to .os9 . Once done, MESS knows that it must read LSN0 to determine
the size and structure of the disk image.

There are also problems with support programs that create disk images,
as many do not create valid Disk Basic directories. The second 16 bytes
of each directory entry should be all $00 if unused. If that is not
true, Tandy's Disk EDTASM+ will fail as it uses those 16 bytes to
determine file sizes.