[Coco] Crunch? Urbane

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 16:58:11 EDT 2009

On 6/1/09, Robert Gault wrote:
> Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Robert Gault says the problem is with VCC, whatever that is.
>
> VCC is a Coco3 emulator. It has problems with disk images that are not
> full sizes - 35 or 40 tracks - when there is data in T0S1. In those
> cases, the size of the image is calculated from LSN0 as if the disk were
> an OS-9 disk. That is why the Urbane.dsk image does not work with VCC.
>
> What ever was used to create the disk image placed ubn_in.txt in gran 0
> and then did not populate unused sectors at the end of the image so it
> is less than a full 35 tracks.
>
> --

VCC appears to be interpreting the first several bytes of that disk
image as some sort of header.  If you use a hex editor program to
change the first 32 bytes of the file to $FF then VCC will open the
image and recognize it as a 35 track RSDOS disk.  This has the
unfortunate side effect of clobbering the first 32 bytes of the
UBN_IN.TXT file, but I believe that is only a sample program.

Darren