[Coco] [Color Computer] country blocked

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 18 16:36:31 EDT 2009

On Saturday 18 July 2009, Arthur Flexser wrote:
>I assume that to be the motivation of spammers, but we're talking
>about attacks on websites.  How does that make money for anyone?
>
>Art
By gaining control of the machinery the site is on, they can then use it
either as a spam relay, or as an slaved attack vector to go attack other
machines.  Some of the 'botnets' controlled by these folks have totaled in
excess of 100k machines. 100k machines all going after the same site with
their variations of John the Ripper will either crash the site, or crack it
and own it, even some versions of linux.  My router alone is dropping over 800
such attacks a day on average.  And I'm pretty much invisible except for my
web server, whose address I post very sparingly.