[Coco] source of recent spammer

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 16:28:25 EDT 2009

Spammers often use various google services as a proxy to hide their
own IP (google translate is a common way).  One way to prevent abuse
from this type of thing is to use a reverse proxy such as Squid (
http://www.squid-cache.org/ ) in front of your web server(s).  You can
then restrict requests from google crawler IP ranges to the user agent
used by googlebot.  This blocks any proxied requests but still allows
the crawler to index your site.  Similar things can be set up for
yahoo, etc.   A reverse proxy in front of your site can be very useful
for all kinds of other security functions as well.  You can detect
intrusion attempts and block them in realtime, use complex ACLs,
implement resouce limits, all kinds of handy things.
Good luck
-Aaron