[Coco] [Color Computer] Telnet program?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 12 11:06:45 EDT 2009

On Sunday 12 July 2009, Arthur Flexser wrote:
>If he doesn't want to get involved with OS-9, V-term (from Gimmesoft,
>for the CoCo 3) might do the trick with its VT-100 emulation.  I
>recall the author (Tim Kientzle or something like that?) telling me
>that the published VT-100 specs were incomplete and/or wrong, and that
>he had to do a lot of work to get it to be properly VT-100 compatible.
> He tested it on demos where the screen control codes create an
>animated picture as a file is listed, like a glass of beer with
>bubbles rising, until everything worked right.  So, I suspect that the
>problem Gene had with his VT-100 program was due to the
>implementation.

Memory says the vt-100 I started with was correctly coded, but as they added
new esc sequences, they ran out of 2 key combo's, so a 3 key sequence was then
done in the vt-220's.  The service manual I was working from had both sets of
tables in it because you could, in the DEC vt-220, actually turn the 220 stuff
off.  Whoever wrote the vt-100, and it seems like I recall the name Marquette
on its sign-on screen, did I believe do it right, at least according to DEC.

It would not be the first time that a published spec was wrong, just so they
could point at broken competition & say 'you shoulda bought a DEC, ours works'

>I used V-term for years, and it worked great with my
>university's mainframe, including using the mainframe's Unix version
>of Lynx to access the Web on a CoCo (in text mode only, of course).

I never had a copy of it, Art.  What is its status today?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You have a massage (from the Swedish prime minister).