[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: [Color Computer Questions]

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jan 29 16:28:21 EST 2009

seanrussoct08 wrote:
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "chargeron" <chargeron at ...> wrote:
>
> I remember seeing a quote somewhere that in the haydays of the coco
> there were 2,000,000 coco users out there.  It would have to be a very
> small fraction of that, but that still should be a lot!  Especially
> seeing how much coco accessories sell for on Ebay.

I've seen estimates that 2,000,000 CoCos of all models might have been
sold over the entire run of the machine.  But even if that estimate is
based on anything like reality, that doesn't mean that there were ever
2,000,000 CoCos in use at any given time.  I started with a 4K CoCo,
upgraded it to 64K ECB, bought a friend's CoCo2 when my original
chicklet keyboard got flaky, got a CoCo3 as soon as it came out, then
bought both a TC-9 and an MM/1.  I didn't use the CoCo or CoCo 2 very
much when I got the CoCo 3, so can those count as CoCos simultaneously
in use?

And who can say how many CoCo 2s were purchased as Christmas presents
without disk drives, printers, or maybe even so much as a game pak and a
pair of joysticks?  They were plugged into a TV, turned on, puzzled over
for a couple hours, and packed away in a closet for twelve years before
going to the Salvation Army and being re-sold for $2.50 to the next
person who had not a clue as to what to do with it.

But I will say that my boy Henry loves CoCo games.  His favorites
include Polaris, Rampage, and The Glove. So count my CoCos as in use!

JCE