[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 68, Issue 27

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Jan 18 12:02:58 EST 2009

At 01:50 AM 1/18/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Roger and all, yes I can confirm that the 6551 does run clock/16
>on the 0000 rate setting.  Had mine running that way for years with
>a 14.4k modem for improved compressed throughput (modified clock /2
>to get 57600).  The modem response codes and actual throughput did
>confirm this rate.

Years ago I made the claim that I was using the 115200 bps setting in
the RS-232 Pack and had it connected to many of my dial-up
modems.  The modems have chips that mimick some of the older UARTs or
even use those chips and would talk at 115200 bps.  My own unreleased
ANSI/VT-100/VT-52 16-color graphical terminal program called NetMate
was used for years to call into BBSes and transfer files.  Ultimaterm
has to be set to (I think) the 450 baud or 50 baud (can't recall
which one), which actually sets the 6551 to the 0000 bitrate
(external clock / 16).  So, Ultimaterm can talk at 115200 bps
through: CoCoPro! RS-232 Pak, Tandy Deluxe RS-232 Pack, and a custom
hacked DC Modem Pak, or any cartridge using a 6551.

Some have used a twice as fast crystal to get 230.4k, and as you
said, 57600 bps by using a /2 crystal.  Makes sense.  But what if no
crystal is used?  I keep reading the 6551 has an internal baud rate
generator.  This certainly doesn't mean an internal clock for all
modes except 0000 ?  Certainly not.  :)

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com