[Coco] Telepak RS232 Pak

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Jan 17 14:24:43 EST 2009

While we're on the subject, has anyone pushed a regular 1mhz-rated
6551 to ~1.78mhz (2mhz CoCo) with problems?

>And it will continue to work, until it has to face a genuine RS-232 interface
>in a 1974 printer. :)

Heheheh.  I bet that printer dims the lights when the carriage returns.

>I think RS-232 is a good protocol myself, and I see no reason to not
>use it at
>straight TTL logic levels with short runs of good shielded cabling.  Or to
>your bluetooth module on the same board, it makes absolutely perfect sense.
>But we shouldn't call it a legit RS-232, its not.

Good enough.  Just a serial pak or bluetooth pak.

>But where do you get a driver for it in a diskless scenario?  Or is the
>teletext rom still enabled?  I had forgotten that thing even exists...

My DC Modem Pak doesn't auto-start the ROM's software.  A few POKEs
from BASIC can make the pak send test data to my PC, or I have
cocotape.exe for loading simple comm programs from the PC as cassette audio.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com