[Coco] Telepak RS232 Pak

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 17 04:53:33 EST 2009

On Saturday 17 January 2009, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 10:31 PM 1/16/2009, you wrote:
>>Hi Mark,
>>
>>Thanks for the explanation. So if I understand correctly, the TelPak uses a
>>newer hardware technology and can be used without the services of an MPI.
>>Other than that they both do about the same thing... correct?
>>
>> > I should expand.
>> >
>> > There is a MAX chip in the TelePak that has acharge pump in it that
>> > creates the RSR232 rail voltages.
>> >
>> > What this means is that you DO NOT need a multi-pak for this device to
>> > work in a CoCo3 as the Tandy pack does.
>
>I've never known the Deluxe RS-232 Pak to not work in a CoCo 3
>without an MPI.  There's a ROM in the pak which means you probably
>can't use it at the same time a floppy controller is plugged into Any
>CoCo unless you're using an MPI.

It works if that teeny little Aztec 5 volt to +-12 volt switcher in it works,
but the draw on the 5 volt line is more than the cc3 supply can do well.  I
have seen several cc3s with blown fuses because that supply hiccuped.  The
one in mine let out all the smoke and died a decade ago, so it works in an
MPI only now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)