[Coco] Connect CoCo Floppy drive to Windows PC

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 21:57:07 EST 2009

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Fedor Steeman wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I have been getting closer to the aforementioned "quest" to connect a CoCo
>5,25" floppy drive to a pc. I have now selected a drive that apparantly can
>be switched between 40 or 80 tracks BTW, so now comes the next question:

Be aware that this is a double edged sword Fedor. The heads on that drive are
not wide enough to fully erase old info when over-writing in the 40 tpi mode,
and generally there is a 100% chance of trashing the disk.

>How to connect a modern IDE cable connecter to this old drive?

You don't, it is two entirely different interfaces.  Floppies use a 34 wire
cable, IDE use either a 40 wire cable or an 80 wire cable, only partially
cross compatible.

>I have no
>experience with the "crimping" that I have read about, but it seems tricky.
>What is needed for this? I suppose I need to clip off the original IDE
>connector and then "crimp" and older one on to it. Would I need to twist any
>wires? Or are there any adapters available?

Crimping cane be done with a small vice, or a pair of vice-grips, even a flat
surface and a house hold 16<->24 ounce hammer will work.