[Coco] Floppy drive setup HELP!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 13 05:40:17 EST 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Fedor Steeman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been ill hence my late reply...

Sorry to hear that. :(

>> Turn it over at the controller then, it has no 'key'.  However, looking
>
>down
>
>> on the top of the controller, with the drive cable on the right end, there
>
>is
>
>> a marker on the cable connector indicating pin one.  It should be on the
>
>top
>
>> back edge as its plugged into the controller, or is on my Disto 4n1
>
>anyway.
>
>It is the same story at the controller side. There too there a plastic
>'septum' (key?) preventing turing the cable over. But I will take another
>look and try another cable. If necessary I can try to get a new one
>somewhere (any tips?)...

Are you sure that is a coco controller and cable?  I think I have had at least
one of every controller made, and have never seen a keyed connector on the
controller end of the cable.  And the symptoms described exactly fit one of
the connectors being plugged in upside down.  That does no harm that I have
observed, but it does enable all the drive access leds, and of course doesn't
work.

Take some closeup pix, and if you have a pc, post them on 'http://pastebin.ca'
and send the list the link(s) pastebin.ca shows you.  Show it plugged in, and
unplugged so we can see the mating faces of the connectors.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)