[Coco] Regarding disk drives

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 12:09:23 EST 2009

Well I've slept since then and killed many thousands of brain cells, but I could swear I've used the post-twist end of a PC cable to succesfully connect a drive to a CoCo3. It was just a test and ultimately since I just needed the two connectors on the untwisted part I just cut off the twisted end with a good sharp razor blade and then replaced the IDC at the controller end.

Of coure I then found the two drive connectors were too close together so I had to reposition one, which might make you think that making a new cable from scratch would have been a better choice; to which my reply would be "What's the point of all this packratting if I'm not going to use what I've been hoarding?" ;)

Also I found that a good sized channel lock wrench works great to crimp IDCs, just protect the plastic with some popsicle sticks or something. Unless you're planning to do a *lot* of cables. Then the proper tool is the way to go, but I couldn't justify the expense for a once-every-few-years use.

Cheers,
Bob