[Coco] RGB --> VGA for CoCo: A success story

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 11:38:52 EST 2009

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, J.P. Samson wrote:

>>> Any plans to do a write-up on how you put this together, Steven?  How's
>>> the quality?  Have you ever used Roy's converter to be able to compare
>>> results?
>>
>> There's not a whole lot to write up...  It's just a matter of building a
>> cable with a 10-pin ribbon cable header on one end.  If you are not sharing
>> the converter with other classic machines, you just splice the other end to
>> the header supplied with the converter board.  The signals are just 1:1,
>> connect Gnd, R, G, B, H-sync and V-sync and you're good to go.  The pinout
>> for the bottom of the CoCo 3 is widely available.
>
> Nice and easy, that's for sure.  I'd guess that Roy's converter does a better
> job, since it is specifically designed for the CoCo 3 and includes a filter
> to absorb some of the vertical banding that is an artifact of the computer's
> RGB output.  Roy's adapter has difficulty clearly resolving some color
> combinations, though, making such text hard to read.

A quick followup on the subject:  I built an RLC low-pass filter based on
Roy's design (thanks for the schematic, Roy!) and gave it a try.  Results
in my situation were not very good.  It did not eliminate visible banding
(which was very slight to begin with), but did throw away enough in-band
video signal to blur the text display noticably.

Disclaimer:

This is not to be taken as a comment on the performance Roy's converter
box (which I have never used)!  The input impedance of the Wei-Ya RGB
board may vary from his design and that can have a sizable effect on the
filter characteristics.  I know that many folks are happy with Roy's
converter and I'll take it on faith that it does a fine job.

I just picked up another SCART cable, so the next thing to try will be
running the CoCo into my Highway 100 converter.

Steve