[Coco] RiBBS search goes on

Merv Curley mervc at eol.ca
Wed Jan 28 21:49:53 EST 2009

On September 30, 2008, Ron Bihler wrote:
> I am coming up with some new names,
> Kevin Darling
> Bruce Isted
> Guy Louck
> Charles West
>
> They all had helped me with RiBBS and continued with Charles West.  Does
> anyone have contact with them? I think Guy had created a de compiler for
> Basic09.

My documentation indicates Charles West released Ver 2.10 in 1993, his last.

The last person to work on Ribbs [Ver 2.11 in '95 ] was a Canuck  in London,
Ont.  We spent much time discussing improvements both on his BBS,  the
Fidonet Ribbs Echo and personal phone calls.  I believe that we were the last
two users of Ribbs in 1995.  I was working on upgrading the Doc's for Ver
2.11, when it was decided to drop the project.  By then the Internet had
pretty well replaced BBS's.  For the record, his name was  Erik Jan Tromp.
We occasionally chatted until about the end of 1996.  Somewhere I believe I
have a note when I shut down the Toronto Coco Club BBS, probably '96 and
after Erik closed his BBS.

Charles credits  Wes Gale, Bill Nobel and Norman Rheaume for programming help
with 2.10 and others like Warren Hrach for his assistance. Bob Devries was
very active in Ribbs too I do believe but maybe just on the Fidonet OS-9
Echo.  Since Bob is still with us, his memory should help.

At that time this system had 2 x 100 MB MFM [?] drives, one a dup of the
other, 4 floppies, [ 2x 3.5 and 2 x 5.25 ].  The drives are all in a PC
Desktop case sitting beside me here.  Some day it will all get hooked up
again out of curiosity.

Cheers

--
Merv Curley