[Coco] CoCo Wireless RS-232 Pak

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 00:26:42 EST 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Mike Pepe wrote:
>Gene, you can use a USB keyboard, mouse, scanner, etc at the same time.
>Same idea, just wirelessly.

I'm sure of that, one piece at a time.  Now if Roger has added the stuff that
is used by other OS's to segregate the USB system into a tree of addresses,
then this has to be somehow sent through the ACIA's rs232 path without
confusing that this 3 byte packet came from the mouse and should be handed
off to joydrv, or this 2 to 6 byte packet came from the keyboard and should
be injected into the output of the key scan routine.  We can't make up a tree
of usb devices all coming in through the BT circuit as if it was a hub, and
then just feed their raw data load into the rs232 path, there has to be a way
to segregate that data.  Or we need multiple rs232 port's just as I'm doing
now.

My suggestion would be to add a 1 byte header packet, where the MSB 3 bits are
the src/destination + 5 LSbits of packet size.  Steer the following "packet
size" bytes of data to the correct module, then wait till the next byte which
should be another header byte.

All this is saying that this kit will need more & faster smarts, in a pic or
FPLD, to handle all the buffering etc that would require.

OTOH, maybe I'm just blathering on about nothing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)