[Coco] [HW] Coco 3 video output corrupt when using cart port

Brian Sturk bsturk at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 22:38:07 EST 2009

Robert Gault wrote:
> Brian Sturk wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a very good condition Coco 3 (bought sealed new, used a few
>> times) and I just recently started using the cart port/bus.  I've
>> used cartridge games and the SVD virtual disk drive device and when
>> using them the video output gets very garbly.  Any ideas on what it
>> might be?  At first I thought it was the SVD but it happens with the
>> games also.
>>
>> Hopefully a kind coco hw guru will have some ideas.   :) I'm going to
>> go poke around looking for schematics and a way to search the mailing
>> list archives.
>>
>> thanks,
>> ~telengard
>>

> Which video output do you mean? There are three video outputs on a
> Coco3, RF (red RCA jack), Video (white RCA jack), and RGB (9-pin on
> the bottom of the case.
>
> For any of these, the quality of the cable (poor shielding) might be a
> problem. If using the RF jack, make sure the slide switch (CH) is
> selecting an unused channel in your area. For the composite or RGB, I
> can't think of any reason why a cartridge should interfere with the
> video signal.

Hi there,

Sorry for not being more specific.  I'm using the composite video out to
a 1702 monitor.  I'll try a better cable, good idea.  The interference
only seems to happen when the cart port is being used and after.  If I
just boot up the coco w/ something plugged in it stays fine.  And it
seems like something bad coming out of the coco.
Interference from a magnetic field has a certain look and this seems
more like something else.  On a black screen I can see hints of orange
and blue.  It's almost like random repainting of the screen *and* the
magnetic field effect.  Definitely weird.

thanks for the help, I'll report back,
~telengard

--