[Coco] excalibur1.net interrupted transfers

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:36:30 EST 2009

Hi, the excalibur1.net site is my site.  I'm not sure what the deal is with
some of these documents terminating download before the full size is
reached.  The server is a paid for remote server, it's not in my home.  I
went and tried downloading some of the same files people have been
mentioning problems with and have encountered the same problems.  I'm not
sure if its just a busy server or something else.

I've been checking on ways to iron this out from the user's computer.  Since
I have FTP access to the http://excalibur1.net/coco site I tried downloading
the same files via FTP and the transfers went ok.   I could possibly make
the site available in FTP to users as well as an alternative means of
downloading.

Also, I remember using a download program a few years ago called Download
Accelerator.  You gave it the link of the web file you are trying to
download and it would always grab the entire file even if the transfers were
otherwise unreliable with firefox/IE.  It supported transfer resume (some
FTP clients do as well) and, as a extra bonus, it maximized the speed of
your downloads. For instance, sometimes I will download a file and achieve
approximately 200kb/sec rates via Firefox when my cable connection could get
up to about 500kb/sec rates max.  Downloading the same file with such a
download manager gets me almost to the max rate because it makes multiple
web connections to the file to download many pieces of it at the same
time....with each piece running at high speeds.

It just so happens I found a current download manager that supports ALL
these features and more.  Better yet, its FREE!  I've been playing around
with it and it solves the issues with the files on the excalibur1.net site
and even downloads the files faster.
The link is here at http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

If people desire FTP access to the main excalibur1/coco site I will get this
implemented but it would require username/password access (not anonymous)
just like the upload FTP is already.

People please let me know your thoughts on these things or if you have other
ideas.

- Chad