[Coco] FPGA

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Feb 19 10:24:25 EST 2009

Alan,

You have already been given a lot good of information about FPGAs and
such, so I won't reiterate that.

What I will mention is that if you ever want to see the tantalizing
possibilities of FPGAs, google the terms "CAM Brain", "Hugo DeGaris",
"roboneko", "Brain Building", "StarLabs" and "Genobyte".

For those not in the know:

Back in the mid-to-late 1990s, Hugo DeGaris came up with this scheme to
build what was essentially a CA (cellular automata) driven, evolvable
neural-net system built in hardware, based on a specific model of Xilinx
FPGA (dig deep enough, and you will find out which FPGA, which is no
longer manufactured, and why it was ideal). Basically, the system would
evolve a neural-net, in which each FPGA represented a portion of the 3D
logical substructure (cube shaped, from images) which contained a
portion of the neural network, the interconnections and such being
shaped by an evolutionary CA algorithm. The FPGA simulated the neurons
and the network they formed.

DeGaris' idea was to build a brain using this method - his first goal
was that of the equivalent of a cat's brain (hence, the roboneko
project, which was a robot to simulate a cat, which the CAM Brain would
control - it looked kinda like Sony's Aibo - but was never built, only
modeled). Some sub-goals were met with success (I think some nets were
evolved to discriminate sounds and the like). A few of the initial CAM
Brain machines were built by Genobyte and shipped to a few places around
the world, mainly ATR in Japan and StarLabs in Brussels, which is
defunct (there are pictures - the case of these initial machines were
designed to look like a slice of the brain cortex - very nice industrial
design).

I remember at the time (late-1990's) that there was a lot of discussion
on the merits of the system, what it could or couldn't do, and whether
the whole thing was a scam or smoke and mirrors. It is still unclear
what the verdict is. Hugo DeGaris has bounced around to other places
since then, first to a campus in Utah, then later (and currently) to a
university in China. He is a bit "out there" with his ideas, it may be a
case of overworked genius or what-have-you (for instance, his ideas
which led to his book, The Artilect War). He is a controversial figure
in the AI community (though not shunned like Mentifex).

I don't know what happened to the machines which were built; it's a very
strange case to dig into, and I have never found any real answers. The
idea seems sound, but at the same time I only lurk on the edges so I
don't know what the real truth is. I am pretty certain though that real
hardware and development was done, but due to lack of quick progress
(the bane of AI), the dot-COM bust, as well as a whole host of other
reasons (not the least of which is probably DeGaris' personality, though
that is just speculation on my part), this project fizzed out. Because
of all of this, his work seems like a scam to get money, bouncing from
benefactor-to-benefactor.

What the ultimate truth is remains speculation. But the idea of using
FPGAs to evolve neural networks remains a fascinating area of research,
at least for me (I only wish I had the time and money to learn FPGA
design and programming, etc - but it is something that looks like it
would take several years of intense study to really understand it to the
point of performing my own experiments in the area, and I need another
project like a hole in the head).

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona