[Coco] Running os9gen on nitros9 6809L2 on a 128k coco3

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 13 10:05:11 EST 2009

Mark Marlette wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Vaguely recall this issue but I **believe** it had to do with something
> with the fragmentation. I 'm pretty sure this has been fixed and should
> be documented in the current source....
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
> Cloud-9

Mark and Michael,
Here is the problem with insufficient memory. First, Michael I strongly
suggest that you download the latest version of 6809 LevelII NitrOS-9
which is now 3.2.8 . What follows is based on using that current version.

As distributed, term is an 80 column window. That puts too much strain
on the memory of a 128K system. There is enough memory to boot but not
enough to even correctly run the Startup file. If you boot v3.2.6 or
v3.2.8 6809 LevelII, you will find you don't get asked to set the time.
That is an indication of insufficient memory. Many other commands fail
under these conditions.
So what's to be done? Michael, you have two choices neither of which
will be pleasant. You can buy more memory or you can change term to a
vdg 32 column screen. I have tested the stock mb script and it will run
from a 32 column term in this version. I have not tried but it is
possible that a slimmed down os9boot file would give a fully working
system from an 80 column term window.

Michael, I can send you a modified boot disk or you can try changing
term yourself using dEd. Here are the directions for changing term using
dEd.

dEd is not usable from a 32 column window so the change must be done
from the stock distribution disk (80 column term).
1. Boot NitrOS-9
2. ded os9boot
3. L term                this links to module term in os9boot
4. e                     this gets into the edit mode
5. use arrows to move to the following bytes and change them by entering
new values.
byte   old value    new value
$1A    $18          $10
$26    $80          $01
6. [ENTER]               leaves edit mode
7. v                     verifies the changes and updates the CRC
8. q                     exits dEd

That will change term to a vdg type. Now reboot NitrOS-9 and a cold boot
of the Coco or emulator will probably be needed.
Boot NitrOS-9 and you should be on a 32 column screen and you should be
asked to enter the date/time. If you got this far, then the script mb
should work and you also should be able to later standard.bl to fit your
needs.