[Coco] Running os9gen on nitros9 6809L2 on a 128k coco3

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 13 08:18:29 EST 2009

Michael Furman wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:51 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>> Michael Furman wrote:
>>> I am trying to create a new nitros9 boot disk that has rs232 pak
>>> drivers in  it.  When I ran the mb script it got a bunch of errors.
>>> I ran each command manually .  The first fatal error that seems to be
>>> encountered is a 207 (memory full) error when running os9gen.  Both
>>> of my coco3's are 128k.  Is there any way to work around this?  I
>>> tried random #nnK parameters without success.
>>> If  there's no easy workaround then I suppose I can see if I can get
>>> the nitros9 cvs that I pulled down earlier today to work on my linux
>>> box, i think i have actually run the make file to create boot disks
>>> before...
>>> --
>>
>> NitrOS-9 Level2 will run on a 128k Coco3 although 512K would be much
>> better. If you are getting 207 errors, then you probably have or are
>> trying to put too many modules in the os9boot file.
>>
>> It would help to know exactly what you are doing. Are you using a disk
>> downloaded from Sourceforge to run a script? If so, then you know that
>> NitrOS-9 runs on a 128K Coco3. Are you using some other version of
>> OS-9 and if so which?
>

> I have a Nitros9 6809 L2 version 3.02.06 disk that I download from
> sourceforge and made some time ago.  I started with the standard.bl
> module list that came on the disk, uncommented sc6551 and t2_sc6551 and
> tried feeding this to os9gen.  No other changes were made.   Upon
> further inspection there are probably some modules I can remove for this
> experiment so I can go try that and see if it gets any farther.

I've been running some tests with Nitros9 6809 L2 version 3.02.06 and it
will not create new boot disks with 128K memory. In fact you seem to be
in a Catch-22 situation.
This version will create new boot disks with 512K memory but seems to
even have problems formatting disks with 128K. That means the os9boot
file as distributed is too large but you can't create a new os9boot file
or a new boot disk because there is not enough memory.

Michael, I'll take some time today to try and create an image with a
smaller os9boot file and memory profile so that you will be able to
create new boot disks with 128K.
Can I assume that n6il at ocs.net is a valid e-mail address?